Sunday, May 13, 2007

1st Outing of the Season

First of all, nice work with the comments everyone. Lolita might be a little pomo the kids, but I'm open to the idea of the book club. And former Secretary Rumsfeld, Camp Nutra is free and will last as long as possible. Think of it more like a war of attrition than a camp - I'm sure you of all people can handle that analogy.

Ok, main point of business (or bizness, or bidness if you prefer) - Austin's finest musical collective the Lovely Sparrows will be playing Monday night, May 14th at the Alamo Drafthouse before a screening of the sure-to-be-great Tim Buckley documentary. It's like $2 for a ticket, and that includes the live music and the film so, c'mon. Two bucks. This will be the first outing of the season.

Ideas for the next outing? I know a bunch of us campers have school-related nonsense to wrap up this week, but let's bandy some ideas about anyway, like:

  • Giant game of Marco Polo at Little Stacy pool off of Live Oak
  • Going to Carvel on S. 1st and seeing if they have Cookie Puss like they do on the East Coast


  • Going to Best Buy and playing Guitar Hero

Also, if anyone else want to post rather than just comment, sign up and let me know your id (or handle a la CB radio lingo) and I'll get you going. Seriously.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of the Sparrows at the Drafthouse, but unfortunately Jess and I can't make it. We're in Dallas at the moment and won't make it back in time.

Also, I'm not opposed to some pre-launch activities, but shouldn't the official start of summer camp start after we finish school?

Anonymous said...

Jen and I are in for sparrows and movie. First swim this afternoon? anyone?

Anonymous said...

MARIANNE said...

Damnit-how do you all get to use a real name? I'm tired of being anonymous! This world wide web is beyond me!

Anyhoo, I'm down for the Lovely Sparrows and a lovely film. I can't swim, however, as I'm busy man-hating at SafePlace today.

Rooney said...

Saaby - you're probably right, I'm just trying to fend off crippling sloth.

Jeb - is the swim at a chlorinated pool?

Marianne - you can use your real name by signing in. If you have a gmail account that'll do.

So, Jeb and Jen sound like they're in for tonight. I'll meet folks at 9:30ish at the Alamo to pick out seats. I guess the Sparrows will play for a bit then they'll show the movie.

Rad!

Anonymous said...

Marianne--you can also click "other" under "choose an identity" and then choose any name you want.

All campers--I'll be at the movie. Anyone up for ghost stories by flashlight afterwards?

Anonymous said...

Looks like we'll be able to watch the VHS tape! Yesssssssssss!

"After the failure of Starsailor, Buckley's live performances degraded to insincere chores and he eventually ended up unsellable. Unable to produce his own music and almost completely broke, he turned to alcohol and drug binges. He also looked to become an actor, with the unreleased low-budget group therapy drama Why? from 1971 being the only film completed (it was actually shot on the new technology of videotape), after several abortive meetings with Hollywood producers."
-Wikipedia